Chapter links updated: 2019-05-15
Home PageGo to Home Page
Outings & EventsOuting Calendar Frequent Meet Location Outing Reviews Ratings: Hike & Kayak Outing Leader Bios Bearproof Containers Trip Leader Input
Fire Tower Challenge
|Smart Phone Apps Updated 2017-03-05|
Chapter Information By-Laws Document Chapter Chair Report Committee Contacts Committee Minutes Donations, Memberships Forms & Guidelines Handbook for Chapter Meeting Locations Policies and Resolutions
To add or change your email address in the chapter's email list:
Send an email with name and email address to
Send an email with name and email address to
Chapter News Updated: 2019-05-23
May 2019 Newsletter is available Online!
Your Chapter Needs Some Good Volunteers!
If you are interested in learning about open positions on the Executive Committee, please contact Brian or a current Vice Chair. All officer contact information is available in the newsletter or on the website under the chapter information tab.
The description of duties for all officers and elected positions is also available on our website at chapter by-laws .
There is no prerequisite, only the willingness to serve as a leader for the chapter. Most positions have a one-year term and nominations are due August 1st.
Nominations and officer biographies will be published in the September-November Chapter newsletter. Please contact me directly with any questions or nominations.
Brian Coville, Young Member Group & Nominating Committee Chair
Outings Updates ... Please Note
- Before you go out this spring, above 3000 feet, check to see if you should rethink your plan. We don't want to damage the areas we all love and want to protect! To check on trail conditions: dec.ny.gov/outdoor/113437.html. Mud season isn't specific dates...it's specific conditions!
- More Parking Restrictions this Summer in the High Peaks! The bridge leading to The Garden Parking lot will be replaced this summer and The Garden lot will be closed. You can only access the area by using the shuttle run by the Town of Keene out of Marcy Field. If you are a JBL Loj guest, the Loj staff will pick you up. Hikers will not be able to drive, bike, or walk up the private road. The town currently (early April) doesn't have enough drivers to operate the shuttle 7 days a week. Please check before you plan to try to hike from The Garden at: townofkeeneny.com/2019-garden-hiker-shuttle-information .
- No Parking this Summer on RT 73 from Rooster Comb trailhead to Roaring Brook Falls. This is in addition to RT 73 summer parking restrictions set up last year, so plan appropriately. Consider the shuttle or hiking elsewhere when lots are full.
Note that Wakely Fire Tower is now open.
Bears have been very active and aggressive!
Chepontuc Footnotes will go green or at least greener by 2020!
Detailed Infomation and Opt In Form
Fire Tower Trail Status Info ( from FTC Chair )
- 2018 July 7 - The repairs to Wakely Mtn FT are complete. All concrete footings were replaced, new hardware and fasteners installed on all the footings, new roof, examination and tightening of all nuts and bolts, removal of the guy wires, and maintenance of trees/brush in the vicinity of the helipad; additionally, minor trail work/brushing was done in preparation for reopening. The crew spent 8 days at the mountain summit to complete the work. With the FT safety issues addressed the trail and FT have been reopened to the public. This was an operation spearheaded by L&F Planners/Foresters with additional support from the Rangers, State Police, Operations, Backcountry Stewards, and of course contractor Dave Vana and his crew.
- 2018 June 29 - Kane Mountain trail closure: The South Trail up Kane Mountain off Schoolhouse Road is closed. The trail crosses private lands, and the landowner revoked permission for the public to cross. Hikers must use the formal Kane Mountain Trailhead off Green Lake Road.
- 2018 Spring - Blue Mt. fire tower: the cement building at the base of the tower and all radio equipment has been removed. NYSDEC is working on a project to restore the tower to its historical design. To be completed this year.
- 2018 Spring - Pillsbury Mt. fire tower: NYSDEC will repair and replace caging that has fallen off near the top of the tower. DEC is working to relocate the radio equipment with plans to reopen the tower cab in 2019.
- 2018 Spring - Catskill Overlook Mt. fire tower new parking area open: Details
- 2017 Winter - Climbs to closed mountains will be rejected if used for the ADK Fire Tower Challenge during the the closure period.
- 2017 Winter - Stay off icy tower steps. No spikes, please - they damage wood steps. Be safe.
- 2017 Winter - Stay off private property. A dirt road ascends Spruce Mountain from the side of the mountain opposite the hiking trail. It leads to the Saratoga County communications building just below the fire tower. This road is on private property and is not accessible to the public. It is extremely important that we always respect the rights of property owners. Please do not use this road.
- 2017 Winter - Mt Adams Fire Tower has been damaged by ice wind! Fencing and railings were broken off and the tower stairs and landings are slippery. Please do not attempt to go into the tower cab or onto the top landing with the broken fencing.
Fire Tower Guide Released in a Second Edition
Extensively revised and redesigned, it includes a new chapter describing fire towers outside of both parks. The intervening years have seen what coauthor Jim Schneider refers to as "fire tower fever," a sweeping enthusiasm that has helped prompt restoration of numerous towers and their trails. For more info, visit: Press Release
Views from on High: Fire Tower Trails in the Adirondacks and Catskills is 224 pages, 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", and includes numerous photos and maps. It is available in softcover for $14.95 ($11.96 members) at book and outdoor supply stores, at ADK stores in Lake George and Lake Placid, through mail order by calling (800) 395-8080, and online at the ADK Store.
New Trails in the Palmertown Conservation Area
For details and map click View details
Fire Tower Challenge Merchandise is Available for Purchase.
Purchase online at: adk.org/product-category/clothing
Make Suggestions to Add Smart Phone Apps to Web Site
Notice the Smart Phone Apps link added to the Chapter Links
Fill out report if you hiked Pharaoh Lake Wilderness Area
Reminder: Include your email address when renewing membership!
We receive membership information bimonthly and update our membership list with your info! You may renew your ADK membership online by clicking on: Renew Online! - Make sure to select "Glens Falls Saratoga" as your chapter!